26 Jun

I’ve got a lot of things going on right now that I’m trying really really really hard to listen to the Universe so it can tell me what the hell to do. Remember that blog I wrote about listening for cues?  Listen to Where You’re Being Sent. Yea, I’m about to invest in a f*#kin’ hearing aid! I’m at some crossroads, traffic is coming up behind me, I need to (as my feisty Irish Mother used to say) “Shit or get off the pot”.

Anyway, while listening for cues, or like the old Robert Palmer song “Looking for Clues” (sorry I have ADD today) I was blessed with a bit of perspective today…

I was driving through the city and had a convertible Porsche behind me most of the way. I thought to myself “Damn wouldn’t that be nice?”, in my bout of car/wealth envy.  It turns out the Porsche and I had the same destination… Wegmans. For those who don’t know, Wegmans is the regional chain of supermarkets that is ranked like best in the world or something. Seriously, the store has like… cult-like status. Anway, the car parked right next to me and we got out at the same time. It was a fit woman probably late 30′s/early 40′s long dark hair, designer sunglasses, a polo shirt, and I think a golf skirt and a sweet looking young girl in shorts and a sleeveless blouse with blonde hair neatly pulled back.

The woman approached me with a big smile on her face and said, “We’ve been admiring the back of your car for the whole ride, envying your stickers”, as she pointed to the stickers on the back window of my car. On the back of my car I have a McQuaid sticker, which is a local all boys Catholic School that my son went to, it’s highly regarded for it’s academics. Also an Our Lady of Mercy HS sticker which is the girl’s equivalent of McQuaid that my girls attend. Both require an entrance exam. And I have an NYU sticker.

NYU (1)

The woman pointed to each sticker and said, “My daughter will be going to Mercy next year, and my son hopes to go to McQuaid some day, and my daughter’s dream is to eventually go to NYU”. I smiled ear to ear and told her that was so wonderful and that my son who went to McQ now goes to NYU, and I have 2 girls at Mercy. I asked the young lady what grade she would be going into and she said 7th. I replied, ” Oh my girls will be in 10th and 12th grade and have been there since 7th, they absolutely love it, so will you”. The girl flashed a big smile and the Mother said, “Oh yes she’s very excited” and the girl added, “I can’t wait!”.

The Mother introduced herself and I told her to look for my girls.  She again mentioned the dream of NYU and I pointed at the stickers and said, “Well I am particularly proud of this because I’ve been a single mom for a long time and if you work hard you can make your dreams come true” in reference to the girl’s ambitions. The Mother was surprised, smiled and said, “Oh wow, that’s wonderful, good job! I admire you!”.

A lady driving a Porsche who looks like she just came from the country club admires and envies me. Heh. WTF? I just got off food stamps a little while ago and she wants for her kids what my kids have.  She didn’t know my story, she didn’t know my kids are on scholarship, it didn’t matter, my kids did the work and I vowed to make it work. She didn’t need to know that. I don’t want her to know that, it doesn’t matter anymore. I kind of wished I hadn’t told her I was a single mom but it was in reference to no matter the obstacles, little girl, you can achieve big things.

I was fighting back tears after she left and I gathered my reusable shopping bags from the car. I truly felt blessed. It was a sign. I know I did the right thing for my kids, and continue to do so. I have great riches in the form of great children. It’s all about perspective. Perhaps I had a sob story a while ago, but overall I am truly blessed. All the hardship seems to vanish now. I’m feeling less of a need to talk about it. That’s why my second book has been put on hold. I don’t know if I want to keep telling more of the same story. Perhaps I’ll keep tuned in to the Universe to figure out what to do on that. I will be sitting tirelessly next to the receiver, spinning dials to get a signal… “Tune in Tokyo”.

21 Responses to “I Wish They Made Stick Figure Family Car Decals Where Kids Have Big Brains and Integrity”

1. bhughes81 June 26, 2014 at 1:50 pm #

That’s awesome! :)

• bhughes81 June 26, 2014 at 1:50 pm #

This is from Tanya…. apparently my husband is logged in…. lol :)

2. mandyfishb June 26, 2014 at 2:32 pm #

What a nice moment! Thank you Universe, for delivering good news once in a while.
    ;-)

3. Nelson - One Old Sage June 26, 2014 at 3:17 pm #

Fantastic! Way to go Madge!

4. Tim June 26, 2014 at 6:55 pm #

It’s always nice to have your life be the envy of someone else, and even more so if you envy theirs at the same time…even if only superficially.

• Madge Madigan June 28, 2014 at 3:16 pm #

So true, and yes if only superficially. Although education may not be that superficial. lol

5. jacquiegum June 26, 2014 at 7:55 pm #

Wonderful story and a real lesson in perspective:) As to listening to the universe, if you find that aid please share the source because I truly need one too:)

• Madge Madigan June 28, 2014 at 3:16 pm #

Oh girl, I send you an extra set when I find ‘em. lol

6. lilbillybaroo June 27, 2014 at 12:30 pm #

Sometimes you’re immersed in the battle so completely you can’t see the sweetness of the victory.
    You’re an amazing parent!!!

• Madge Madigan June 28, 2014 at 3:17 pm #

Aw thanks LB, you know that is so true. That was a total step back and savor moment.

7. Mina A Joshi June 27, 2014 at 6:40 pm #

It’s lovely when someone else says something nice about you and compliments you. Well done to you.

• Madge Madigan June 28, 2014 at 3:17 pm #

Yes it is. Thank you! A complete stranger, nontheless.

8. maxwell ivey June 27, 2014 at 8:33 pm #

hi margaret; thanks for sharing this with us. I think you did just the right thing telling them you are a single mother. You were put there to receive a message and to deliver one. their lives may look perfect now, but everyone faces adversity of one kind or another eventually. Enjoy your moment. sometimes all the universe needs you to do is say thank you. thanks again and take care, Max

• Madge Madigan June 28, 2014 at 3:18 pm #

That is so true. I think the Universe was telling me was patting me on the back and saying “You’re doing ok”. :)

9. Valentine Logar June 28, 2014 at 12:43 pm #

I truly am inspired by you this morning and love you told this story. You are an inspiration for many reasons, for making us laugh, for being humble and for raising great kids. Thanks.

• Madge Madigan June 28, 2014 at 3:18 pm #

Aw thank you so much. You know Valentine, you truly inspire me too. :)

10. baise en streaming September 23, 2014 at 4:39 am #

Je n’aі point fini dde regarder tߋutefois jе reviens demain

11. alexis Silver September 24, 2014 at 10:25 am #

Je voudrai vօus dire que c’еst constamment de la jօie
    de vous lire