29 May

Joe the Plumber (whom is neither a licensed plumber or actually named Joe) is an absolute piece of shit and everything that is wrong with America today… in my opinion.

Joe The Plumber: ‘Your Dead Kids Don’t Trump My Constitutional Rights’ To Have Guns

I have no designs on taking away anyone’s “rights” but “Joe the Plumber” is a selfish opportunistic nobody who cares nothing about his fellow man. We need to stop this “Because they’re mine” mentality. Meaning, anytime I’ve tried to have a logical rational conversation with a gun person and I ask “Why do you want/need your guns?” the answer is “Because they’re mine!” is usually the answer. Funny, that’s the same answer my son gave me when he was 3 years old when I asked why he wanted to carry around a used paper towel I had just wiped his face with. Or when my daughter was two at her birthday party and didn’t want to give out pieces of her cake, “It’s mine!”.

tommydilfight1

(This is what came up when I Googled “Mine!”)

Yes, a lot of gun owners feel they have the right to protect themselves and that’s why the 2nd Amendment was created, but a lot of others just use the whole “it’s my right” thing. It’s not gun laws, it’s the machismo gun culture and the growing trend of people not being able to cope because we’ve become a culture of entitlement (“because they’re mine!, it’s my right!”) and the minute things don’t go their way in life they want retribution… and it starts with you. Stop enabling our kids to feel entitled.

Did you see this kid Elliot Rodgers’ video that he made before he went on his killing spree? (I don’t want to post it and give him any more public exposure) To me, that video did not show a mentally ill young man, but an angry entitled selfish little douchebag with a Napoleon Complex. I stress, in my opinion. That is not mental illness that’s an anger management problem. There’s a difference. Issues that can be worked out in therapy are different from actual mental defects. I know, I have a mental defect. I take meds or else my brain would play an endless loop of some thought, like a skipping record, or spliced reel to reel tape loop. The meds thump the floor to make the record stop skipping and move along with the song in my brain.

However, I’m not a doctor, I didn’t know the kid, nor did I examine him.

The best thing that ever happened to me while raising kids was to be poor. It forced me to teach them, you can’t have everything. Not that I wouldn’t be that way if I were rich either, I don’t believe in entitlement, I believe in earning things. However, there are certain poor people that are angry because they feel slighted because they still feel entitled but ain’t gettin’ it. So being poor doesn’t exactly negate the entitlement problem.

I also teach my kids that there are things bigger than themselves in this world. There is a thing called “The greater good”. Just because it suits you doesn’t mean it will be best for all. Just like it’s your right to smoke a cigarette, but there are little kids around and your smoke can effect them adversely, they have little lungs that can be damaged easier. You still think it’s not selfish or a good idea to exercise your “right”? And believe me, I don’t want to take away anyone’s cigarettes, I believe people should have a right to smoke, drink, do whatever they want as long as they aren’t killing other people with either.

Here’s a question… say you own guns. You have a child who has mental issues. Obviously a disturbed child, a fragile child. You still think it’s your “God damn right” to keep your guns at the ready? If someone said, I advise you to lock them up far away or get rid of them or you might have another Sandy Hook/Columbine/UCSB/VA Tech/CO Theater – (take your pick)? Let’s forget gun laws, no one wants to take your sacred guns, I’m asking an ethical/moral question. Ask yourself that question. What would you do? I think this country would be a lot better if people weren’t so selfish and macho.

Just my 2 cents.

15 Responses to “You’d See The Business End of My Gun Rights if You Used the Term “Your Dead Kid” About My Child”

1. blanchard1954 May 29, 2014 at 11:48 am #

You are absolutely 100%right!! People want to have their guns. I personally, think that is a right that should be taken away or at least better enforced. I hate guns! My brother was killed in a gun accident, or so we were told.Lock up the guns you idiots! Children are being killed in school! WTF. I Am against guns, period, and that is my goddamn right!!

• Madge Madigan May 29, 2014 at 12:01 pm #

Ya’ know, I agree with you that you have a right to be against guns. I don’t think they should all be taken away but I wish we didn’t have the mentality that people want their guns so bad. I don’t own any, I don’t want any, I don’t want to be around any. But God, don’t be so selfish.

• TJ May 29, 2014 at 1:22 pm #

Madge you are so right about the entitlement mentality, however it is not the gun its the person. Take it from a recovering alcoholic, I can get alcohol anywhere anytime, I must choose to abstain. If the troubled young man wanted guns he would always find a way to get them. The fact that he was obsessed by the popular cultural reflections of his social surroundings points to that entitlement you mention. He had no moral compass to override his immediate need for his self consumed style of gratification.

• Madge Madigan May 29, 2014 at 3:47 pm #

TJ, I agree that it’s him not guns. However, he got the idea of shooting up people somewhere, right? I think it’s partly due to our gun culture.

2. Valentine Logar May 29, 2014 at 2:13 pm #

I think I am finally at the end of my rope with the discussion of ‘Gun Rights’. The entire discussion of a citizens right to bear arms is a fraud taken in the context of today’s overreach. Up to the 1970’s the courts all agreed there were limits, our laws included those limits, both the NRA and gun manufacturers supported those limits and people were not insane, Chief Justice Burger (a very conservative justice) wrote about the fraud and the 2nd in great detail. Something shifted, it shifted in the NRA and elsewhere, suddenly this nation became gun happy and the bodies started piling up. Since 1968 there have been 568 deaths just from Spree killings alone, I could have missed a few.

The only nations in the world with gun laws as lax as outs? None of us would want to go there, Nigeria, Saudi .. yeah, we don’t want to go there.

We do not need this. Our children are dying in the streets. We do nothing. I am done being nice about it.

• Madge Madigan May 29, 2014 at 3:48 pm #

I completely agree. And you put it quite eloquently.

3. Paul Graham May 29, 2014 at 2:20 pm #

I understand that the problem is entitlement in general but since your headline deals with guns I will comment on that. For those of us living in countries where the right to bear arms is not enshrined in the constitution this is slightly less inflammatory,though there is still a sharp divide between those on either side of it. If one started with a clean sheet it is easy enough to make the case that automatic, semi-automatic and hand guns are of no use to hunters and of no benefit to society . However, once they are already broadly distributed among criminal elements and once guns of any type are permitted within city limits, it becomes easier for others to demand their “right to self-defence”. Like most political issues this is characterized by much heat and little light, and unlikely to be resolved when all parties seem to feel an “entitlement” to belittle those who disagree

4. Tim May 29, 2014 at 5:35 pm #

Chris Rock once said that solving the gun problem is easy. All we have to do is make bullets $5000 each. People will think loooong and hard before shooting someone and wasting five grand.

• Madge Madigan May 30, 2014 at 9:24 am #

I loved that bit! And damn if it ain’t true…

5. John Lamb May 30, 2014 at 8:41 am #

Madge, I’m glad people like you share opinions and have the courage and fortitude to do so in a public forum. As for the topic of “entitlement”, I think it misses the point. The following link is a bit dated (I believe from the Clinton administration era), but it serves up a few very pertinent positions. The right to bear arms was not added to the Constitution as an entitlement, it was a counter measure to the risk of tyranny and oppression. This risk will be present forever. Yes, even in the U.S.A. http://www.2ampd.net/Articles/Asker/Vulnerability%20of%20a%20Disarmed%20Citizenry.htm

• Madge Madigan May 30, 2014 at 9:24 am #

Thanks John. No, you misunderstood, I think the sense of entitlement is what makes these people go on killing sprees. They have the mentality of “I can’t get what I want, so I’m going to take everyone down with me”. Yes I agree the 2nd Amendment was put into place, not so you could have whatever you want but to protect yourself. Granted I know there are a lot of people who want their guns to protect themselves, but I was talking more about the people who go on sprees. Make sense?

6. Dawn May 30, 2014 at 12:17 pm #

I still have not been convinced that civilians need semi-automatic weapons. You want to collect guns, fine. But civilians should never be allowed to purchase the ammo necessary to operate those semi-automatic weapons – whose sole purpose is to kill a lot in a short period of time.

7. Nidia September 23, 2014 at 10:33 am #

It is a digital SLR lens and has a 30mm focal length. The AF (autofocus) is certainly responsive, even though it cmes in behind Nikon and
    Canon in side-by-side testing in comprehensive reviews, and image
    quality is very good when shooting at low-to-mid ISO settings.

On tthe lens barrel rings of different sizes and
    textures operate focus, zoom aand iris.