Listen to Where You’re Being Sent or How I Was Finally Useful Today

15 May

Someone asked for my opinion today. Ha! Who the hell would think that was a wise idea?

Well I guess it was something I had dealt with and they wanted to know my thoughts.

My thoughts actually provided an answer to this person.

What, what?!

I was useful. I gave this person advice on sort of going with their gut, and the person helped me put into words the idea I’ve been trying to verbalize for a while. Well I mean I thought of other ways to put it, but when this person reiterated what I just told them and ┬áput it in these words it really clicked with me.

“Listen to where you’re being sent”

Yea, it’s like listen to your gut and all that but it’s, I don’t know, maybe a little more specific.

This person has a young child and she’s considering switching them to Catholic school and she asked me about my experience with it. Now I’m no big cheerleader for Catholic school, my son went to a Jesuit all boys school, the girls go to an all girls Catholic school, but I am a fan of these particular schools, not just all Catholic schools in general. Most importantly I am a fan of “do what’s best for you”. It was also a nice moment for myself where I realized “I did do what was best for me”. I went with what my senses were telling me.

Several things kept happening that made me think it was the right choice back then. It doesn’t matter what you are deciding… what school to send your kid to, what house to buy, what person to date, what kind of booze to order. There are outside influences at work. Hey, that’s just my theory. It could be just the inner depths of your brain combing the data banks for past experience or info learned from others being processed and your brain is sending you text alerts like your bank does on your phone. “Your bank balance is now overdrawn.” Oh wait, or is that just me? Anyway, something is sending you info, vibes, messages… whatever you want to call it. Listen to them. (However if the messages involve violence or deviant behavior, see a mental health professional)

Maybe you keep seeing shirts with the name of a certain college… damn that’s where my kid really wants to go, maybe it is the right school. Maybe when ordering booze you think margarita, but your brain scans the shelves and see’s tequila… oh damn girl remember, you don’t handle that stuff well, I’ll have gin and tonic. Maybe you like a guy but your Mom said she doesn’t have a good feeling about him… suddenly a bus rolls by with an ad that says “Mom knows best”. They could be subtle signs you really have to listen hard for or you never know, it could be as glaring as the giant statue of Jesus falling on Mandy Moore’s car in “Saved”. (I love that movie) Unlikely but… who knows.

I don’t know where it comes from, but it’s there. My life got better once I stopped making knee-jerk panicky reactions to everything and started to just sit and listen to the Universe or God or whomever it may be. It keeps sending my brain to a place, it may even send me physically to a place (I kept getting invited to events by a club, I soon realized I needed to join and it was good).

So stop talking and thinking and making excuses. Ok maybe do a little thinking, that is important… but don’t get so stuck on rational thought and possible statistical outcomes. Sometimes a gut leap of faith can lead to amazingly wonderful, successful things.

Oh and I am quite proud of myself for being useful today, perhaps there is hope for me. :)

28 Responses to “Listen to Where You’re Being Sent or How I Was Finally Useful Today”

1. lilbillybaroo May 15, 2014 at 1:39 pm #

You’ve always put things in perspective for me Ms M, maybe not the perspective you were expecting, but always helping out my critical thought process…

2. Ted May 15, 2014 at 2:00 pm #

Thanks M2 you have an understandable style for a don’t take myself to seriously man like me…

• Madge Madigan May 15, 2014 at 5:00 pm #

You’re welcome. And another important tip… don’t ever take yourself too seriously. :)

3. blanchard1954 May 15, 2014 at 3:01 pm #

Madge, I always think too much and usually end up doing the first thing I thought of. I guess great minds think alike.!

4. Dan May 15, 2014 at 3:17 pm #

Leap of faith..A very powerful message…thanks for the reminder that being brave in life is so very important.
    Dan

• Madge Madigan May 15, 2014 at 5:01 pm #

You have to take a chance every once in a while.

5. Paul Graham May 15, 2014 at 6:56 pm #

Hey Madge, balancing instinct with intellect is fascinating. Logic only works when the base assumptions are correct and it seems we have a mechanism for over-riding them when they are not.

• Madge Madigan May 16, 2014 at 4:09 pm #

You hit the nail on the head – balancing instinct with intellect.

6. jacquiegum May 15, 2014 at 8:04 pm #

Courage, gut, trust the universe…love how you manage to combine all of them. But the most important part is pay attention…be observant, hear the inner voice, right?

7. Tim May 15, 2014 at 9:14 pm #

Your post comes at a very timely juncture for me. Today sucked in all sorts of ways but the biggest suck was that today did not go according to my plan. I was sent in the opposite direction. How could that be? I was pissed and I rarely get pissed. Your post and one other about how luck we are (or something like that) made me realize that going with the flow is the only way. Hmmm….perfect timing Ms Madge.

• Madge Madigan May 16, 2014 at 4:11 pm #

Little voices told me to write this today. :) Here’s another thing, sometimes when we think our gut tells us to go with something and it turns out badly, I believe it’s because we needed to learn a lesson.

8. Meredith May 15, 2014 at 9:49 pm #

That’s great advice, that’s sometimes hard to take. I’d rather there was handwriting on the wall, or something more obvious, but I guess in the Bible when there was actual handwriting on the wall, it was way too late for all of them to pay attention! Maybe they should have listened in the first place. Maybe I should too!

• Madge Madigan May 16, 2014 at 4:12 pm #

Sometimes I wish there was a special hearing aid for this. lol

9. Valentine Logar May 15, 2014 at 10:26 pm #

That is absolutely perfect advice. Your gut and the universe, yes perfect.

10. Lenie May 16, 2014 at 7:24 am #

I’m a firm believer in listening to that inner voice (or gut, whatever you want to call it). I think it can protect us from wrong decisions but also point us to the right ones. Great advice.
    Lenie

11. Sarah May 17, 2014 at 7:56 am #

Funny I just went through the same decision. Having been raised roman catholic and since not really gone to church, I randomly decided to switch my kids from public to catholic school. Basically he hated the public school and because he was baptized he could switch to this only other option. I just went for it. In the end, he has never been happier.

• Madge Madigan May 22, 2014 at 9:45 am #

I’m so glad your son is happy. That’s what happened with my kids, I just had an inkling.

12. crystalzakrison May 17, 2014 at 10:03 pm #

The older I get the more I chill out. I was a maniac in my 20′s. Now that I am in my 30′s I know to not take myself so seriously. Yes, pause and ask God for direction too. Great read! =)

13. Max's Midway Marketplace May 19, 2014 at 6:40 pm #

hi margaret; thanks for your helpful but still funny post. I love the way your mind works and the way you string words together to create images. and the idea in here is something we can’t hear often enough. when we are blessed enough to hear the universe speaking we really have to listen. thanks again and tai care, Max

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. I Wish They Made Stick Figure Family Car Stickers Where Kids Have Big Brains and Integrity | Madge Madigan's Blog - June 26, 2014

[…] so it can tell me what the hell to do. Remember that blog I wrote about listening for cues? ┬áListen to Where You’re Being Sent. Yea, I’m about to invest in a f*#kin’ hearing aid! I’m at some crossroads […]